Does it count as overtime…

…if you have nightmares about work?

This is probably a combination of stress and chemical imbalance, but it is making me crazy (no pun intended). Hopefully, 5 days in Chicago at Worldcon will fix the problem, although missing 2 days of the first week of class is part of why I’m stressed.

I blew off my meeting at the radio station last night so I could come back in and work…I’m still behind, and I have no idea where the summer went…and I realize that I must do a truly crappy job of training because people who have worked here for quite a while are still not up to speed on things they should know, and there have been a lot of changes, with more to come.

Anyhow, I went to bed with a pint of sorbet and a book (the sorbet has no fat, but lots of sugar. I’m taste testing for the spice who can’t have fat. Doesn’t really help, because I’m not supposed to have the sugar, but what the hell.)

I turned off the light by 11 and woke up at 2:30 when spouse came to bed, suffering a major panic attack.The dream went something like this:

I was at work and we were getting ready to close. Our library has nooks and crannies where people can hide, but my dream library was filled with all sorts of places that people could disappear into, sort of a combination of the current library, the old library in Mumford Hall, and the Main Library stacks, with everything feeding through the circulation area. The library was packed with students who started pouring out when I made the closing announcement. I started doing a sweep and everywhere I looked there were more people who just didn’t want to leave. The climax came when I ran into a bunch of girls in the cage      who just didn’t want to leave. They had sleeping bags and snacks and were totally prepared for an all night study session and seemed to think I couldn’t do anything about it.

I yelled at them, and the more frustrated I got the more I yelled. I couldn’t breathe, and I wanted to cry. My mouth was dry and I was shaking and everyone was ignoring me. Just as I felt like I was going to explode and melt down, TC came to bed and woke me up.

Even worse, the whole thing was interspersed with me going to my daughter’s house in my daughter-in-law’s car and we kept missing the street and driving around the block. I needed to see my daughter but I was afraid I was going to be late to work.

He was very nice and brought me water and talked to me and didn’t even yell when I told him that if he hadn’t paid for my membership 2 years ago for a Christmas present I’d skip the whole thing.

I finally got to sleep again somewhere between 3:30 and 4 and the alarm went off at 5:30 because I have to catch a bus at 6:30 to get to a stretching class that I am taking as part of a study for the kinesiology department.

And I just keep on.

crossposted to Joak


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s